2 Moons/Grateful Dead Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gems and Rings

Go down

Gems and Rings Empty Gems and Rings

Post  VitiosusVulpes Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:44 pm

Here's a detailed breakdown of gem and ring damage and how it works. Definitely worth a look before you drop any big cash for gems so you know what will actually be applied to your attacks and what won't affect them at all.

originally posted by Tsun01 on 2 moons forum:

I've been inspired to write this guide due to all the uncertainty surrounding gemming, and to the pervasiveness of this uncertainty.

All the information here has been tested using my characters unless otherwise stated (A Twin-Blade-Using Summoner, and an incar magician)

Let's start with elemental gems, since they are the most common.

Elemental Gems

Of these, there are two types:

+x damage gems (fixed damage gems)

+x% damage gems (percent damage gems)
Fixed Damage Gems
+x damage gems add damage of their type to ALL PHYSICAL ATTACKS AND SKILLS.
But for magic users, they only add damage to spells of that type (meaning fire gems can only add damage to fire spells, and so on)

Percent Damage Gems
These take a little more explaining.

Percent damage gems add damage in the same way that fixed damage gems add damage, but the amount of damage is based off your raw attack stat.

Your raw attack stat is your attack stat without masteries or buffs on, but including damage due to your level, stat allocation, weapon, magic bonuses from your weapon, and pyramids if you use magic and physical attack bonuses from your weapon and rhombuses if you use physical attacks.

To figure out how effective a percent damage gem will be, first make sure you have no buffs (or accessories that affect damage) on and check your masteries. If you have no masteries, go to the next section. If you do have masteries, divide the attack stat you use by (100 + %increase)/100, where %increase is the gain you get from your mastery (mmorpg.com seems to be a reliable source for this). For example, let's say you gain a 30% increase from your mastery (remember: only masteries that increase your physical attack or magic attack), then you would divide your attack stat by (100 + 30)/100 or (130)/100 or 1.3. You now have your raw attack stat

Now that you have your raw attack stat, you can figure out the gain you will recieve from adding a gem, or gems. Just multiply your raw attack stat by (x%/100). For example, if you add one +5% elemental gem to your weapon, and your raw attack stat is 1000, then your gain from the gem would be 1000 * (5/100) or 1000 * 0.05, which is equal to 50.

Elemental damage gained from gems (or not gained from gems) is not taken into account any mastery (or buff).
I have tested this, and as far as I have noticed, elemental masteries only add damage based off your attack stat for physical attackers, or magic attack stat for magic attackers.

Now I'll explain rhombuses and pyramids.

Rhombuses and Pyramids

Rhombuses

Much like elemental gems, these add damage to all physical attacks and skills. They, however, do no add any damage to any magic attack.

It is notable, however, that physical attack masteries (and % buffs) take these into account. For example: if you gain +30% damage from your masteries, and you have +100 damage on your weapon from rhombuses, then you'll gain an extra +30 damage from your mastery.

Pyramids

Unlike elemental gems/rhombuses, pyramids add damage to every magic attack, regardless of the element.

This, much like the rhombuses, is taken into account by magic masteries (and % buffs). For example: if you gain +30% damage from your masteries, and you have +100 damage on your weapon from pyramids, then you'll gain an extra +30 magic damage from your mastery.

Now let's move on to defense gems.

Elemental Resistance Gems

These I haven't tested, but it only makes sense that they reduce the amount of elemental damage recieved reduced by a percent.

Remember, however, that all magic attacks include the user's magic attack as part of the damage, and that part cannot be resisted. For example, if you had 100% resistance to an element (the cap is 75% I believe), then the only damage that could hurt you would be based entirely off the user's magic attack.

Medials

Clearly, these add a fixed amount to your defense

Defense gained from medials (or from armor) is calculated into masteries and %buffs, meaning that if you gain 200 def from medials, and you have a 30% mastery for defence, then you will gain 60 defense from the mastery due to the medials.

Accessories
Any accessory that claims the same effect as one of the above listed gems will behave much the same way, except that accessories are not calculated into your masteries or buffs (I'm not quite sure about defense accessories, though).

- If you feel that any of the information above is mistaken, please let me know via PM what the mistake is and why you believe I am mistaken so that I may correct the issue as soon as I recieve your message.

Notice

On a special note, I'd like to say that I appreciate all positive comments and contructive criticism. ^_^

New Gems Guide! Please leave your feedback!

Last edited by Tsun001 on 21 Nov 2007 05:55; edited 7 times in total
VitiosusVulpes
VitiosusVulpes
Admin

https://gratefuldeadguild.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down